Sunday, February 12, 2006

Best Of Homespun Bloggers February 12th, 2006

Bill Karl

If Democrats wrote the reviews for Brokeback mountain

"Pack up the family for a joy ride they'll never forget!"

-- Nancy Pelosi

Considerettes

"Cutting Edge" Medicine

First it was clean needles so junkies could kill themselves in a sanitary manner. Now, there's a proposal that self-abusers be given clean razor blades with which to cut themselves.

Ales Rarus

Why Is Prostitution Illegal?

Did you ever stop to wonder why prostitution is illegal? I did. Aside from explicitly religious moral reasons, I can’t see why it is.

Pick your jaw off the floor. Got it? OK, then, I’ll continue.

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, what is a prostitute doing? She…I know men prostitute themselves, too, but definite pronouns are less confusing…She is selling the use of her body for a span of time. Why is that illegal? It’s her body. It’s not like there isn’t legal precedence for it.

Musing

Not a good use of resources

I am watching the Senate’s Energy Committee debate the ‘07 Budget on C-SPAN and Samuel Bodman (Energy Secretary) just came up with a classic line, describing the use of natural gas to generate energy.

Bodman noted that doing so is like, “washing your dishes with good scotch.” Definitely not a good use of resources.

We’re literally awash in coal and uranium in North America and we’re running short of natural gas (primarily because we are using it for electricity generation and we refuse to drill in places like ANWR and offshore in California) but we’re still permitting and building new gas generation facilities.

MuD&PHuD

BS Meter In The Red

This article starts out sounding absolutely great (if, like me, you happen to be a small government type):

Gov. M. Jodi Rell wants to eliminate municipal car taxes and cut the state's public utility taxes by 25 percent, two moves she says will save Connecticut residents millions of dollars a year.
I mean, jeeze. I only pay a few hundred dollars a year between car and utility taxes so I'm expecting a serious check.

ruah

My Name is Diana and I am an addict!

My son turned me on to it. Now I can't get through a day without it. I can't get anything done. Communication is breaking down with my friends and family members. I spend all day in my room and rarely come out.

The Farce Report

Kansas DNA Sampling Bill May Evolve into Something Bad

Here's a DNA sampling bill currently being processed in the State of Kansas; it's one flavor among many across the United States. Presently, five states have mandatory DNA swabbing procedures for arrested individuals, and each state has different actions in disposing of samples when charges are dropped (or in the event of an acquittal).

Libertarian Leanings

Cherry Picking

The Washington Post drags out yet another former government
official with an axe to grind.

Pererro

Real Citizen Journalship

So, decided for the hey of it to go get close to that brush fire, and post the pics. And, here they are, in reverse order because I messed up the upload.
|